Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Gundam_Eclipse/index/

Welcome to Gundam Eclipse. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Star Wars: Movie Discussion
Topic Started: Oct 30 2012, 04:57 PM (9,544 Views)
tc012009
Member Avatar
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Disney has purchased Lucasfilm in a $4 billion dollar deal and have just confirmed that Episode 7 will be released in 2015.

Lucas originally spoke about the Star Wars Movies comprising of three trilogies.

:vadar: How do you feel about the prospect of a new movie, and what direction would you like it to take? :jedi:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/10/30/disney-buying-tar-wars-maker-lucasfilm-for-405b/

Press Release:

Spoiler: click to toggle
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tc012009

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FAZZ
Guru
Lucas won't be able to direct it; can't be worse then the prequels.

striker0
Member Avatar
Addicted Member
I'm just tickled that Disney bought LucasArts. Considering their stellar performance with buying Marvel, I can only see good things coming from this.

And who is to say that George Lucas is going away? If Disney is smart, and so far they have been, they'll keep him on board for Episode 7.

Ravhin
Member Avatar
My expectations is that they will ruin it further than the last 3 movies. If I'm wrong it will be a pleasant surprise if I'm not, well it was expected.
http://theironkeep.wordpress.com/

KayOne73
Guru
striker0
Oct 30 2012, 05:14 PM
I'm just tickled that Disney bought LucasArts. Considering their stellar performance with buying Marvel, I can only see good things coming from this.

And who is to say that George Lucas is going away? If Disney is smart, and so far they have been, they'll keep him on board for Episode 7.
I'm pretty surprised you're in favor of Lucas' continued involvement in the SW franchise. Care to elaborate?

tc012009
Member Avatar

I'm not sure if I approve of the direction Lucas and Disney are taking episode 7

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

HoratiOTFH
Member Avatar
OMG! A frost giant!
Meh, this can't be worse than Phantom Menace..

Caboose
Member Avatar
Obsessed with RX-79(G)'s
Cracks me up how upset people get when Disney buys something out. People seem to be raging about this as much as they raged about Disney buying out Marvel... and They have yet to disappoint on that front. I honestly think that they could take Star Wars in a much better direction than Lucas. and if not... as Horati said, there is no way it can be as bad as the Phantom Menace :P
Posted Image

Ravhin
Member Avatar
Caboose
Oct 31 2012, 10:38 AM
Cracks me up how upset people get when Disney buys something out. People seem to be raging about this as much as they raged about Disney buying out Marvel... and They have yet to disappoint on that front. I honestly think that they could take Star Wars in a much better direction than Lucas. and if not... as Horati said, there is no way it can be as bad as the Phantom Menace :P
It's hard, but it is quite possible to make something worse.

Anyway I would rather see new ideas instead of using and reusing old ones.

VoyeurTheNinja
Member Avatar
Perfectly-Bizarre Person
Wished they make a movie about the fact Palpatine survived getting thrown into the Death Star core. Not sure if i should put that in a spolier
"I think, in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."

"You are not alone and you are not strange. You are you, and everybody has damage. Be the better person."

RenExarDroma
Member Avatar
Guru
i think starwars is finished with this deal, i HOPE HOPE HOPE that disney will not do anything stupid. I Love starwars, i read the comics, i know alot about the extended universe. I just hope the movies do not continue off the original story instead they explore other storys in the starwars timeline.

tc012009
Member Avatar

How would you feel about a complete remake of episode 4, 5 and 6?

To be honest, I hope that as part of a future home release of the original trilogy, Disney give us the unaltered versions from the 70's and 80's, we all know that Han shot first ;)

RenExarDroma
Member Avatar
Guru
@tc i dont think they should remake anything and go back to the original film every one saw in the movie theater except in the jedi returns on the blu ray edition they added a scene that was deleted because of time restrictions. its when luke builds his lightsaber.

Kawasagi
Member Avatar
Ver. Kaw
Enough with the hate of the prequels. Can you honestly say that they were that bad? Because they really wern't. I love all six movies. I saw Attack of the Clones twice with my dad. Only problem I had with episode one was jar jar binks, and even he wasn't that bad. Take it or leave it. Those movies will always be star wars whether you like it or not. Get over it.

OT: I feel Disney should've not had confirmed episode 7. Yes they did good with the avengers and so forth, but I feel the original 6 told the Skywalker saga exceptionally well and I feel that another episode wouldn't add too much. Heh, maybe they'll bring back Boba Fett since he did survive the sarlac pit.
月のTwilight か。。。

Join my discord channel:https://discord.gg/5FdMcJD

WarMachine395
Member Avatar

Caboose
Oct 31 2012, 10:38 AM
This would be my opinion in a nutshell... Disney is far more intelligent (and sometimes far more sinister),
than we often give them credit for, largely due to all of those light-hearted kiddy-shows that they
stereo typically make.

Facebook-----Youtube-----Blogspot

Ravhin
Member Avatar
Kawasagi
Oct 31 2012, 03:00 PM
Enough with the hate of the prequels. Can you honestly say that they were that bad?
Yes.

Episode 2 and 3 where okish, but episode 1 was atrociousness in so many levels.

But this is the point where we say that everyone is entitled to their opinion since there is no universal truth. I didn't quite like them, if others did (and indeed many people enjoyed them), I won't say that they are wrong I just don't agree and that's that. There is no point in arguing about such thing.

Kawasagi
Member Avatar
Ver. Kaw
Ravhin
Oct 31 2012, 03:29 PM
Kawasagi
Oct 31 2012, 03:00 PM
Enough with the hate of the prequels. Can you honestly say that they were that bad?
Yes.

Episode 2 and 3 where okish, but episode 1 was atrociousness in so many levels.

But this is the point where we say that everyone is entitled to their opinion since there is no universal truth. I didn't quite like them, if others did (and indeed many people enjoyed them), I won't say that they are wrong I just don't agree and that's that. There is no point in arguing about such thing.
I understand your opinion and I respect that. Its the fact that people hate the prequels just to hate them. I mean they are what they are, and that is the beginnings of the Skywalker family. But I digress. Just wish people would see it for what it is and not for their expectations.
月のTwilight か。。。

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Marvel before Disney: Daredevil, Ang Lee Hulk

Marvel AFTER Disney: Spiderman, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, The motha #*()(in Avengers

Lucasfilms before Disney: Great Original Trilogy followed by George Lucas selling his soul and making the prequels, the clone wars cartoon, etc

Lucasfilms AFTER Disney: I personally can only hope for the best.
Squees Workbench FB
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tc012009
Member Avatar

What about Indy?

Personally, I absolutely love the original trilogy, with Temple of Doom being my favorite.

Indy 4, while it had moments of excellence, was a HUGE letdown.

Disney have also bought the rights to the adventures of Henry Jones, shoudl there be an Indy 5?

CKai Cydek
Member Avatar
A cynic & a dreamer

If we get to see a new Star Wars trilogy from Disney, I can only hope for two things:

1) John Lasseter gets creative input.

2) Brad Bird writes & directs.

If those factors are in effect, it will dispel all doubts in my mind, and that it will be awesome ^_^
Edited by CKai Cydek, Oct 31 2012, 04:35 PM.

Kawasagi
Member Avatar
Ver. Kaw
I wonder if the new trilogy will revolve around the Solo children?
月のTwilight か。。。

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Kawasagi
Oct 31 2012, 04:38 PM
I wonder if the new trilogy will revolve around the Solo children?
That's what i was hoping as well! Since they made the prequels and original jump almost 20 years, it could explain casting Harrison Ford as an older Han!
Squees Workbench FB

tetsujin
Member Avatar
Guru
tc012009
Oct 31 2012, 02:16 PM
To be honest, I hope that as part of a future home release of the original trilogy, Disney give us the unaltered versions from the 70's and 80's, we all know that Han shot first ;)
Lucasfilm already gave us those (on DVD, anyway). It just wasn't very good quality from what I understand - some kind of transfer from a video master. I guess the real question is whether they'll do a new transfer. I guess it's possible.

Quote:

Enough with the hate of the prequels. Can you honestly say that they were that bad? Because they really wern't.

They had a dreadful shortage of interesting characters. The stories set themselves up for a huge challenge - to introduce Anakin as a sympathetic, hero character, and show how he turned into a murderous villain - and flat-out failed. A big chunk of Anakin's motivation (such as it was) came from his romance with Padme... Which was played both wooden and melodramatic, to the point it became a series of eye-roll moments.

Compared to the original trilogy, where central characters like Leia and Solo were set up for laughs, I think the prequel trilogy plays things a bit more straight. In some ways it feels like it's closer to Lucas's stated goal of making an homage to old movie serials. Aspects of the movies that are often criticized, like the wooden acting, the rushed line reads, and so on, really fit that aesthetic. The problem is, I think most people (myself included, really) don't have a lot of love for those old serials. We love Star Wars mainly because the first trilogy was good stuff - whether by design or accident it struck a balance between movie serial schlock and self-parody and good production quality (revolutionary special effects for its time, dated at this point but for those of us who enjoy the effects work of that era, Star Wars is a fine example of it, and a landmark as it helped launch dozens of imitators). It was fun and entertaining and even now it's still technically impressive.

In the original Star Wars, most of the characters were following these story archetypes. The wise old man and the young, naive kid, the dastardly villain in his fortress, the damsel in distress and the shifty, deceitful rogue. (And the hapless comic relief and the low-grade Mary Sue) It was all very standard storytelling fare, plot elements that have been common for hundreds of years. But already, I think, that's a big difference between the original trilogy and the prequels: while they were stock characters, they were an assortment of stock characters. Comparatively:

Qui-Gon: Disciplined master jedi, who is wise, patient, and clever.
Obi-Wan (ep. 1): Slightly brash and impulsive, but loyal student
Obi-Wan (ep. 2-3): Pretty much Qui-Gon
Anakin (ep. 1): Almost a non-character. Becomes a hero by accident.
Anakin (ep. 2): Brash and impulsive, but loyal student
Anakin (ep. 3): Angry, rebellious, and suddenly evil.
Padme (ep. 1): World leader and action hero. Frustrated by the crisis but never overwhelmed by it.
Padme (ep. 2-3): Love interest and action hero.

One of the big problems here is that there's not a lot of discord between the characters. For the most part they share the same goals, the same concerns, the same motivations, and the same perspective. Anakin is about as close as they get to having a dissenting voice among the main characters, and even through Ep. 2 it's not much. Since the heroes don't get a lot of face-time with the villains, the personal interest in the story has to come mostly from how the heroes interact with each other, and that is pretty boring in this case. There's just not much to work with.

There's also not a whole lot in terms of character development. Obi-Wan matures a little. Anakin gets slightly rebellious and then turns evil with only a moderately sound explanation. Padme gets involved with Anakin... And that's about it.

In Star Wars, the main cast is much more dynamic. Luke is an eager, willful idealist. Solo is self-serving and unreliable. Obi-Wan is patient and pragmatic. Leia both plays and parodies the "damsel in distress" role, she's frustrated by Luke's naivete and Solo's self-serving attitude. This puts the characters in almost constant conflict. In the prequels, most of the tension is simply about how the characters will achieve their goals. With Solo (in the first film) there was the additional question of whether Solo's goals were even the same as the rest of the characters, whether he would decide to help them.

So, yeah, I think the prequels were seriously flawed movies, there just wasn't much character interest and that really hurt the story - especially since the prequels took on the unenviable task of chronicling Anakin's turn to the "dark side". That's a really tough thing to do - take a character we're supposed to consider one of the story's heroes, someone we root for, and make us believe that he turns into this legendary villain. I don't think audiences even want a story like that - I think a lot of people simply reject a story where they're supposed to relate to a villain's point of view. To pull it off right requires good characterization, an arc that makes us believe this change is really happening. It just wasn't there - and that failure is like the pinnacle of everything the prequels did wrong.

As for the upcoming films - I'll give 'em a shot. I don't want to overindulge in speculation like "this will be better since Lucas won't be directing" or "this will turn out like the prequels and I won't like it"... I'll just wait and see what they come up with.

Quote:

i dont think they should remake anything and go back to the original film every one saw in the movie theater except in the jedi returns on the blu ray edition they added a scene that was deleted because of time restrictions. its when luke builds his lightsaber.

Meh. I can't say a "lightsaber building scene" sounds like it'd be worth including in the movie.

Also, showing Luke building his lightsaber would ruin the reveal at the Sarlacc pit. It's hard to look back at the Star Wars trilogy and think of anything that happens as a "surprise" since I practically know the movies by heart... But I think that bit is set up as a surprise and it works well that way. Luke inherited his first light saber, and it was lost at Cloud City. Then Luke shows up to Jabba's palace apparently unarmed. He beats the Rancor by slamming a door on it. Does he even have a new light saber? Or is their construction a lost art? Until R2 pops the new saber out his head, the audience doesn't know.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm not against this as most people seem to be.

Been a big fan of Star Wars, since...well ever.

Remember when people were moaning about how Disney was collaborating with Squaresoft on Kingdom Hearts and how crap it was going to be? Well, kingdom hearts was an awesome game, so were their sequels. Also, Disney acquired rights from Marvel, and they made a bunch of awesome movies. So I don't see why people are automatically assuming "bought over by Disney" to equal "its the end of the franchise" or "its gonna be s**t".
Quote Post Goto Top

Kawasagi
Member Avatar
Ver. Kaw
Also a storyline based off the Jedi Knight series of games wouldnt be so bad either. Kyle Katarn is my all time favorite. Next to Kit Fisto.
月のTwilight か。。。

striker0
Member Avatar
Addicted Member
KayOne73
Oct 30 2012, 07:34 PM
striker0
Oct 30 2012, 05:14 PM

I'm pretty surprised you're in favor of Lucas' continued involvement in the SW franchise. Care to elaborate?
Why are you surprised?

The reason why I'm interested in Lucas continuing his work with at least the movies I enjoyed them, all 6. His mind, coupled with Disney, I have high hopes for them. Who is to say that perhaps episode 7 might not cover at least one of the side stories of the franchise? I haven't had a chance to read the books, but from what I heard, they are pretty good.

KayOne73
Guru
striker0
Oct 31 2012, 06:20 PM
Why are you surprised?

The reason why I'm interested in Lucas continuing his work with at least the movies I enjoyed them, all 6. His mind, coupled with Disney, I have high hopes for them. Who is to say that perhaps episode 7 might not cover at least one of the side stories of the franchise? I haven't had a chance to read the books, but from what I heard, they are pretty good.
Because of the common opinion that aside from deserving credit for creating the fictional world of the Star Wars universe, its been shown he's:

1. not a very good director

2. not a very good screenwriter

It's not small coincidence that the best of the original trilogy and probably the entire saga was The Empire Strikes Back which was directed by Irving Kirshner.

Also the eps 1-3 films were a clear demonstration of how Lucas produces films when he's in total control and nobody is allowed to keep him in check. The results of that have been pretty plain to see.

Kawasagi
Member Avatar
Ver. Kaw
KayOne73
Nov 2 2012, 04:39 PM
striker0
Oct 31 2012, 06:20 PM
Why are you surprised?

Because of the common opinion that aside from deserving credit for creating the fictional world of the Star Wars universe, its been shown he's:

1. not a very good director

2. not a very good screenwriter

It's not small coincidence that the best of the original trilogy and probably the entire saga was The Empire Strikes Back which was directed by Irving Kirshner.

Also the eps 1-3 films were a clear demonstration of how Lucas produces films when he's in total control and nobody is allowed to keep him in check. The results of that have been pretty plain to see.
What? Sorry.

I was too focused on enjoying my DVDs of Star Wars Ep. I, II, III. LOL

Eh, Ill watch it because its starwars. Good or bad, go watch it with my dad and continue our tradition of watching all the star wars together. :)
月のTwilight か。。。

black chimera
Member Avatar
head of neo zeon chimera corps
uh this just makes my brain hurt im just going to ignore this til 2015 then ill say something good or bad
CHEESY UNCLE FOR THE WIN!!!!!!

Kawasagi
Member Avatar
Ver. Kaw
Lol, who knows, maybe it'll be like the original star wars/ ep. IV. the first showing of Star wars was met with average response as people went to see it, but after the first week there were lines around most theaters showing the movie. At least that's what my dad told me. I'm actually kinda excited for it. It'll be another fine father/son bonding time. assuming my girlfriend/future wife doesn't get in the way. :D
月のTwilight か。。。

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Entertainment · Next Topic »
Add Reply