Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Gundam_Eclipse/index/

Welcome to Gundam Eclipse. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
WSC Sleipnir, Rune Masquer
Topic Started: Oct 9 2017, 09:38 AM (2,696 Views)
ingenhk
Member Avatar

I started working on this immediately after posting the Neried.
Posted Image

While pinning it, I would be thinking and planing about what I would do to it.
The color, in the manga, I think it tried to paint it with blue like NMM. I think it is supposed to look kind of like Robocop.
Posted ImagePosted Image

But, I don't think actual metallic would look good unless it is the Auge.
I look at another mecha Cybaster that is also silver, but the models are mostly this color.
It's light grey with some clear blue/green, then a pearl coat.
Posted Image

Mine would use some blue, but not as blue as others like Volks. The WSC one on Hobby Japan is actually more of a grey white, but the photo made it look like blue.
I watched the 3rd OVA of Galient, this one is supposed to have white hair, it is drawn with blue/green, like a polar bear on a glacier, I could dig it. The tail and mane on mine is going to be like this, I would make the hair more colorful than the body/armor
Posted ImagePosted Image

Almost done with pinning(already).
The lines on both inner and outer sides of the arm, are placed like out-in-out. Surely it's reoccurring.
Posted ImagePosted Image

The armor near the wrist is rotated a little like the Babiron LED. I'm going to cut a gap between these parts to emphasize these are 2 pieces of armor.
Posted Image

I pinned the tail slightly more to the right first, before it is swung left.
Posted Image

But then, I didn't like how it turned out. the right hand is holding the spear more opened to the side, and the left palm is too front facing, I like it to face down, like the right hand of the Nereid.
Posted Image

After some tuning
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I made a cliff base for a different composition. The Sleipnir appear smaller next to the Nereid because it doesn't have a huge fish body, and it stands shorter, I want the base to raise the man's face to the same level of the Nereid's, or slightly higher
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I used popsicle sticks to build a frame, to hollow out the base, while making note of the weight and shape so the thing won't easily tip over.
Posted Image

I'll add more thickness to the top and bottom, the frame is reduced in size accordingly.
The base that came with the kit has the left foot slightly more forward and higher, I will try to do the same on the new base.
I didn't take picture of the steps between, because my hands were all caked up with plaster.
Posted ImagePosted Image

From the front, I intended to make it look like the front of a battleship.
There is also an extra rock in front of the cliff, since the spear is going to be even longer, I imagine I'll have to crop out the front of the spear so that the photo would not look empty(too much of the background for just a spear tip), but I did not want to make the actual cliff any longer, that's where that extra rock came from.

On the back, I tried to make it end gradually, so that when viewing from the back the cliff don't just disappear abruptly.
This spot is right beneath the Sleipnir's tail, I made two steps down and to the left.
Posted Image

It turned out like I expected.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 9 2017, 12:16 PM.
ingenhk's FSS and WSC homepage | John's Youtube | John's Twitter
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Monsterist76
Member Avatar
Good job on the sculpting and texturing of the cliff. It should make for an impressive and imposing display piece.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ingenhk
Member Avatar

A photo from 1993 Wonderfest
You could see the color better than on the magazine, it's less blue
Also there's that base, looks similar to the one I made, in size.
Posted Image

Studying the motion on this one.
While making the base, I noticed the left foot is slightly forward and higher(which I replicated on the new base).
the upper body rotated counter clockwise, noticed how the mane moved along.
I think I could 'swing' the hanging pieces from the armors along that direction, or the opposite direction, which I'm still debating, because the mane is light and more air resistant, as the motion is 'finished' there would be some 'delay', where heavier pieces move earlier.
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 10 2017, 03:53 PM.
Posted Image

electric indigo
Member Avatar
I like this pale blue version a lot better than what I've seen before, especially with the pale gold.

ingenhk
Member Avatar

I thought the same.
The popularized blue is probably the mandela effect caused by WSC blue-ish photos, same thing with the Gastness Temple. True Volks did one with that blue, but many WSC builds followed for some reason.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Another piece of history, the WSC one was announced to be released on 25 Feb 1993, Volks didn't show photo yet but about to catch up on the same release date, for almost half the price 9800
Posted ImagePosted Image

More study on the those hanging thingy on the armors
I'd imagine a horse ran up a cliff, stopped at the edge and reared.
The hind legs probably experience some forward momentum thus the armor and the hanging pieces would not fly like the ones on the waist and shoulders.
In this picture here, it is as if the thing has just landed from falling off the sky. like a jet plane landing. Because the pieces on the hind legs are also raised.
Posted ImagePosted Image

I looked up some video on youtube, sometimes a horse could also jump one step forward, that could cause the armor on the hind legs fly. But I would choose to have some contrast, make the hind legs brake and firmly on the ground, I'll let those pieces behind just hang or even swing forward.
I don't know what symbol to use to indicate "forward and brake", I just used that fast forward symbol.
Posted ImagePosted Image

WSC Schpeltor waist.
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 11 2017, 05:37 PM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

Since I'd be using grey white on the armor, I could put some blue under armor and on the internals.
Like for the waist, I could use something like GP01's blue beneath those 2 would be dark grey hoses
Posted Image

Looking for a combination. Still debating what to use on the armpit and elbows, I wish not to use iron and gold for those round nubs on the chain mail.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Looking at the horns on the chest, I noticed the retail ones are different from the official demo builds, they look like the horns are pointing forward and parallel to each other, while the demo one was more to the side.
Posted Image

All of the retails builds have the tip of the horns more forward.
Posted Image

I can't simply rotate the horns to the back, because there is a specific angle from the side view.
Posted Image

I figured a way to mod it, I tilted the horns like the red line, and heat the horns so that they point more to the side.
Posted Image

Result(middle), very similar to the demo
Posted Image

Stuffing the seam, not filling them though because there should be a seam, I just made them tighter.
Posted ImagePosted Image
[tight a$$ joke here]
Posted Image

Almost everything are pinned, except I didn't test the hanging things on the left waist armor, I did only the right side and the left shoulder.
I just need to stuff some epoxy on the right hand to fix the angle of the spear, wash off the grease, then begin the sanding.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

finally of course, on a turntable.
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 14 2017, 11:33 AM.
Posted Image

electric indigo
Member Avatar
I'd choose something less saturated for the secondary color. A blueish grey rather that a greyish blue.

You're keeping up the pace with this build. I guess the painting will be more complicated than on the Nereid.

ingenhk
Member Avatar

Thanks for the input.
I should test out the main grey white first, then look up a dark grey and medium blue/grey of various saturation.
Yes there will be more masking involved, but then, less sanding(no hundred of scales), less thinking for the hair, last time I spent enough time just thinking about what blond to use and how to execute. This one seems more straight forward, even the cliff base is already decided.

Metallic and less saturated blue, some desaturated orange/brown for accent. :plotting:
Posted Image

Forgot to include these.
For some reasons, the retail one has bigger 'head' for these.
I've them filed so that the head is just slightly thicker than the rod
Posted Image
Posted Image

connected with 0.3 wire.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 14 2017, 05:01 PM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

Broken rims and edge, it's the same as last time, I'm too lazy to describe it another time.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I got paints and other stuffs.
Posted Image

Gaia Virtual on colors.
Vo09 is the color used on the IMS Terror Mirage, it's non metallic, last time I tried to mix a paint like this, it was either too dark or too light, but never blue enough. I also got metallic blue paints.
Vo05 and 35 are for mid tone of the hair, I could use them on a Neptune or SR3 early type in the future, maybe in 2018!
Posted Image

A cool white, and neutral grey, I figure the Sleipnir is similar to the Speed Mirage which is of a blueish gray, on some pages in the manga it does. Pre shading would also make the gray more blueish, so I'll have to not over or under do it.
Posted Image

I couldn't find much on Rune's platinum hair, but I found these examples.
I could either make the hair more green or more blue, it is to be decided later, but I got the paints.
I do have some light blue paint already, but I fear when I add white to make them lighter, the saturation went too low, but these paints won't.
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 16 2017, 11:20 AM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

Something about his sculpting technique, the right side often has sharper details than the left side, maybe one side is sculpted first.
Right side
Posted Image

Left side
Posted Image

When unaltered it looks like this
Posted ImagePosted Image

Blackroom, has removed them altogether :SRS:
Posted Image

What I would do. First stage of the re sculpting of the left side
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 17 2017, 12:35 PM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

The blueish gray of HSGK demo, (the actual print on the Designs 1 is more blue like the Volks pictures)

Deformed parts, hm.
Posted Image

hm..
Posted ImagePosted Image

After some cleaning up for the re sculpted left chest.
It's not perfectly symmetric, but now both sides have the same kind of compound surfaces.
Posted Image

In the Manga, this is as best as it is drawn and can be seen, pretty much just a shadow, the rest is the sculptor's interpretation, and that's what I love about them.
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 18 2017, 11:56 AM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

Fixing the misaligned cast.
Flatten the edge, then widen the slanted channel/line, filled the line with epoxy then make an impression for the new, corrected line.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Possible colors for the elbow and armpit, jean blue, or silk(metallic blue with flat coat), and iron for the round thingy. My scheme would be like the other's scheme flipped inside out, various blue on the hair and inside, grey on the outside.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

A vertical stripe of Kaze Ro(Gaia Vo 39) somewhere in there, overlapped by 2 dark gray hoses.
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 19 2017, 07:18 PM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

Fixing these wavy lines, it's similar to above, widen the gap, remove all of those waviness, stuff it with epoxy, make a new line impression
Posted ImagePosted Image

I used to think the Kan has extra long limbs, turned out the arm and leg length are the same as the Prominence, except the torso length and width, it's more than 1cm difference.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

Casually an update
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 25 2017, 01:45 PM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

These two are duplicated, but one turned out to have a thinner trim.
Posted Image

Restored. Beside a couple of rivets need to be fixed, it's almost ready for priming.
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 28 2017, 03:50 PM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

Chiseled a line on the forearm, it's very thin, only to suggest the rotation near the wrist.
Posted Image

Traced outline for the rivets on the horse face. But turned out the rivets on the left side is buried deeper, so those became smaller than the right side.
Posted Image

I measured the smaller ones on the left are about 0.5mm wide, the bigger ones are more than 0.6.
But I've got only 0.5 and 0.75, I replaced all six of them with 0.5 beads. The actual ones used on the sculpt should be 0.6 or bigger, but smaller ones look better anyway.
Posted ImagePosted Image

On the left, they are small and blurry, on the right is big and more popped.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 30 2017, 08:59 AM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

Posted Image

To preserve the muscle contour, the step on the mold line is filled before it is sanded away
Posted ImagePosted Image

*Humanity at risk!
Posted Image

But here there is a spot already flatten from the casting piece. I could feel it with a finger, I put the part under a lamp and put more contrast on it for the photo.
I stuffed it round with epoxy
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Primed
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Oct 31 2017, 12:16 PM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

On the left, it's 1000 primer straight on the unpreped resin, on the right it's been sanded with #400 paper before priming, now there is a comparison, and the reason for sanding the whole thing.
Posted Image

on these chipped spots, you could see the thickness of the primer that is on the casting pieces.(not my primer), these dents are in the cast. yep rather thick
Posted ImagePosted Image

hm, that middle one is flatten
Posted Image

Drilled out the airbubble before filling, following Indigo mathod.
Posted Image
(before the drill)
Posted Image

These ones decided not to deal with it
Posted ImagePosted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Nov 1 2017, 02:28 PM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

It's ready for 2nd priming.
This time the sanding took me longer than the Nereid, last time I used #400 paper and left quite some scratches still visible after the 2nd 1000 primer. This time I used #600, we'll see which one works better.
Edited by ingenhk, Nov 9 2017, 12:59 PM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

A couple more rivets replaced
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

I used 1.0mm instead of 0.9
Posted Image
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

Painting some details first so I could mask them off for the main colors.
Posted Image

The green eyes have a darker shade on top.
Posted Image

I used MS paint to plan the painting for the eyes.
The idea was to use the blue on Goemon's chin on the eye shadow.
After several attempts, it turned out sort of OK but I still ending up stripping them off.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Instead I did just like with the Nereid, 2 colors and black lining. Because the last ones didn't look clean, there was always something wonky. At least these wouldn't look like compound eyes like that on other builds or the old Vatshu.
Posted Image

Posted Image

For some reasons the GX100 turned bad
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Nov 27 2017, 08:56 AM.
Posted Image

drako125
Member Avatar
It's looking pretty good, I'm liking the choice of blue for the eyes.

ingenhk
Member Avatar

Yes? I thought I would put more blue on the small details and under sides.
Here's the under armors. I didn't mix purple in there, but I will add a little bit for the main grey
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Both of these have purple, the left one has smaller amount
Posted Image

Just blue in grey would look like this instead, I'd rather not.
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Nov 29 2017, 02:48 PM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

After a bit of observing and weighing how the frame and main color would work with it, I decided to add more white to the under armors(left).
Posted ImagePosted Image

Sanded the edges with over spray and lightly went through the surfaces with #1500 sandpaper.
Posted Image

2nd priming with 1200 surfacer.
Posted Image

After sanding with 1500 paper
Posted Image

sanded over spray area
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Dec 1 2017, 03:21 PM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

The sword is shaded at the tip and near the cross guard, it makes the sword less like just a long thin plastic.
Posted Image

I did the same on the Nereid, the gold pole is shaded where it went through the silver parts. Next to one without any shading, looks very much like a brass rod.
Posted ImagePosted Image

and the same thing for the Sleipnir
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Dec 3 2017, 02:02 AM.
Posted Image

Monsterist76
Member Avatar
I have never used ball bearings on a kit before but will probably replace the less well defined rivets on my K.A.N.

Posted Image

Do you drill a hole/indentation the same diameter as the ball bearing or slightly smaller/larger? I'm just wondering if I also need to get some more drill bits. My current smallest bits are 0.6mm. Thanks.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

Larger, then I filled it back with epoxy, put the bead in, clean off the excess with a flat sharp edge, when it is slightly more harden, I trace the line around it with a needle, if needed.
Edited by ingenhk, Dec 7 2017, 11:26 AM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

First attempt painting the base, and failed
I tried to be careful and make everything right, end up working on it too long and it became too dark
Posted Image

2nd attempt: I tried to lighten it with white, it turned blue, I add some yellow ocher, it turned green.
3nd attempt I spray the whole thing white and started over, since the thing at this point is all covered with paint, I can't use the washing technique anymore.
The paint job itself is not awful but it's not great neither, worse now it is painted, in close up I found several spots being too rounded in shape, looked more like volcanic rock.
Posted Image

Plus I realize the base is a bit too big it drawn too much attention, I need to reduce it.
In the green area it's bigger than the Sleipnir, I need to make it like the blue area
Posted Image

So...I'm going to do over with this one, peel off the painted layer while I'm at it, make new texture, and I'm going to make a second one, so I'll have 2 to choose from.
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Dec 8 2017, 04:52 AM.
Posted Image

ingenhk
Member Avatar

I put the old base aside, instead focus on making a different one
Posted Image

This time other than reducing the height(now the horse head is the same as the Nereid's), I also reduced the extended 'ship bow', the default one was however like jumping off a cliff, extending it too far ahead would lose the tension, the sense of emergency
Posted Image

I used epoxy to shape the back of the base, so there won't be a straight line. stamped textures on the surface.
Posted Image

The new base would be able to revert back to the default base
Posted Image

no texture yet, just the general shape
Posted Image
Edited by ingenhk, Dec 10 2017, 08:40 PM.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Painted Projects WIP · Next Topic »
Add Reply