Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Gundam_Eclipse/index/

Welcome to Gundam Eclipse. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
MG GM Sniper II; Friendly build off project
Topic Started: Nov 24 2017, 09:54 PM (970 Views)
Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Haven't really posted a wip in awhile, the nonsense of photobucket killing shared links pretty much killed my old WIP thread, so i figured i'll start a new one instead for this kit.

My friend bought a few of us this kit for Xmas last year, and we all finally started building it late last month for a build off. Kind of just winging it as i go and using it as a kit to practice lining/plating on. Using the generator/coolant tank parts from the old MG GM Sniper. I switched out the shoulders for some old ones from a bad cast of the BD conversion kit. I realize now after doing these mods, most of them will be hard to see once i add camouflage to the kit.

My original idea for the layout, but after getting the HAR rifle i realized i'd need a base almost 20 inches long. Changed up the pose, inspired by the Dynames pose from when it was using the atmosphere rifle thing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am really happy with how this is turning out!

Too lazy to post other pics as i've been posting them elsewhere all month. Almost all of them are here, including all the steps i've done so far with the kit and with the base.

Full WIP so far

I'll update more current pics as i take them going forward.

Squees Workbench FB
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...

I added some metal bits for detail. I will most likely be changing these out, as explained later.

Posted Image

This idea i might do, but i kind of like just the 4 "lenses"

Posted Image

After a bunch of sanding sessions, i finally got the visor down to a decent shape. Its much less curved but still enough to be unique. I primed it and noticed that after sanding it all down, there was not only a spot of the 2 part putty that didn't mix in (as seen by that raised part) but one of the holes is misaligned. Going to have to fill that in and carefully drill it out for symmetry.

Posted Image

I don't have an antistatic grass applicator (YET) so i ordered some premade tufts of winter grass. Did some test placements to see how they look.

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

WarMachine395
Member Avatar

Looking good, I'm quite liking the new visor (Y)

Facebook-----Youtube-----Blogspot
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Thanks War.

Picked up some 1/4 round trim Saturday, i figure, i should make the bottom of the base look better. I was originally going to put this on a plaque, but i think this will look nice enough.

Posted Image

Also, i took the metal barrel that comes with the HAR rifle to work Saturday. I figure, i have access to a lathe, i should try using it.

Posted Image

I bore out the barrel, now if i decide to add an led, i can use this nicer machined part.

Posted Image

[color="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

Worked on the backpack last night. Trying to implement the Sniper II's backpack like the GM Sniper does. I figure its going to be laying on its back so its not a big deal. I might change these out but i think it kind of works.

Posted Image

I'm getting close to finishing the mods on the kit, so i am starting to plan out my paintjob. I have never really done real camo so i figure now would be a good time. I'm in between the 2 circled ones, but i am leaning towards the one on the right. Also, i have 2 types of snow to use for the base. One from woodland scenics, and one for a more icy look.

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

WarMachine395
Member Avatar

I like the right camo option as well, feels like a better fit for winter camo. The other seems more like a coast-line camo.

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Yea i think i am settling on that one. I'll most likely tweak it a little though.

I think i'm done with the backpack. Its going to be laying against the snow so i didn't want to go crazy. Just a few little bits of detail, and adding some plating to fill in the gaps so that it meshes together better.

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Switched out the barrel so that i can add an led. Less chance of shorting out the led w/ the metal sides. I have to rebore it if i want to use it.

Posted Image

All primed!

Posted Image

Using the shield to try out my camo patterns. One of my blues ended up being a bit more green than i wanted.

Posted Image

I used some liquid mask to do a quick repaint of that color.

Posted Image

Something still felt off, i'm thinking that its how i layed out the masking. I laid them longer vertically, it would work better horizontally or random.

Lastly, i was staring at hovertruck/tank thing i made. Since its going on a base i figure, why waste a hovertruck. Made some handles for the tank

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Stripped and repainted the shield. I like my new colors much better. I still have to work on my placement a bit better but i am satisfied.

Posted Image

I thought i'd be further along and/or done already, but RL has been taking its toll on my build time lol
Squees Workbench FB

WarMachine395
Member Avatar

^^looking really good man, the big rifle and external generator are super cool :D

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Its been awhile since i last touched this kit. Its getting nicer weather wise so i wanted to actually paint something that will show some progress.

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
White accents added. I need to touch up a few spots where the camo masking left an edge.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

Kiske
Member Avatar

No camo on the head's visor?

Do you have enough paint on the dark aqua where you can lightly sand some of the camo's edges down a bit without ruining the crisp edge? A few of the edges appear to be high enough to catch the light on them in that last picture. (Such as the dark aqua on the lowest part of the groin armor.)

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Yea there are some high spots, i plan on sanding it down. I was always planning on wearing down some of the layers for the lower layers to show through like from wear before more weathering steps.
Squees Workbench FB

Dtk40
Member Avatar
I love your color choices, can’t wait to see it weathered.

BusterZero
Member Avatar
Guru
Man that winter camo looks great, awesome color choice.
Posted Image

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Thanks guys! My darkest blue is still a bit too bright, i need to tone it down.

Also random, but i found some HO scale print files. Made some test piece containers. Definitely going to use these somewhere in a future build!

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Painted most of the frame. Only thing holding up assembling it is some parts i'm chroming/adding some candy to .

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Finished masking piston parts, i.e. stuff you'll barely see lol

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Almost finished. Backpack and weapons still need painting.

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

thwalker13
Member Avatar
Some awesome progress looking here sir!

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Thanks T!

Almost done! I have to paint the Rifle and tank still. Hopefully tomorrow. I still need to do some touching up on spots then i can do decals, and move onto weathering. I gotta remember to take a photoshoot of the kit before i do some things that will make seeing stuff much harder.

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

gp03
Member Avatar
Good Kid, Mad City
what color will you be painting the rifle?
My WIPs
Master in the art of the unfinished kit

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Some greys and some camo on a few spots.

I love masking! Its so relaxing!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I had to touch up one of the pipes but i really like how i came out.

Applied some static winter grass. It was a learning experience, i think i'm going to redesign my applicator. Its not giving the best field. I also learned that thicker glue gives better clumping. It doesn't really matter though, its all getting covered in snow, but i wanted grass underneath.

Posted Image
First layer of snow down.

Posted Image
Edited by Squee, Mar 12 2018, 09:45 PM.
Squees Workbench FB

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
When you absolutely have to overcompensate lol

Posted Image

I still have to paint a few spots but i'll wait for the camo layers to cure overnight to be safe.
Edited by Squee, Mar 14 2018, 12:11 AM.
Squees Workbench FB

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Finished the painting on the gun. Just need to gloss the kit for decals!

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Best part about a snow day... Decals and basic lining done! I need to tweak the power cables a bit still.

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

Kiske
Member Avatar

Did you end up lighting the barrel with an LED?

Squee
Member Avatar
Ever the Obvious...
Kiske
Mar 22 2018, 10:35 PM
Did you end up lighting the barrel with an LED?
I did! All internalized too, pretty happy with it.

Posted Image
Squees Workbench FB

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Painted Projects WIP · Next Topic »
Add Reply